Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Friday, April 29, 2011

How Much Wood Could a Woodchuck Chuck - 1976 - Dir. Herzog

Sort of a mini-documentary. Or just a normal documentary, I guess. "It's forty minutes long" is what I'm saying here! Herzog is capturing the World Livestock Auctioneer Championship. There are a handful of interviews in the beginning, some shots of Pennsylvania, but I would say the majority of the film is watching auctioneers strut their stuff. So the length is really appropriate length for the film. Any longer and I might have started to pull my hair out. That isn't to say that the subject matter isn't interesting. It's fun to see how all of the auctioneers do what they do. And rather hypnotizing. The scope of the film is a little limited. Apart from the opening when the auctioneers talk about their "craft." There isn't much to the movie apart from the actual auctioneering. I would have gotten a kick out of speaking with a few more people. There's something kind of funny when people are filmed talking about a subject about which they certainly don't seem to have a lot to say. Even the auctioneers don't have much to say repeating the mantra "Practice makes perfect" and go through how they began to practice. The movie is nice in depicting the atmosphere of the Championship. There seems to be something inherently engrossing about the film to someone like me who is very distant from that world, and also somewhat amusing.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiHT728p2CU6pjhWVisahqE0Xd9ij2n20M5JPZhoLEdJw88lcqywgpLIOnrIlKgig3rywyg3xcdpfyBjay8BPdKZz-K2-T8VVRQACdDN2Jl6MFzv48GlRk-08I4AxlEqQhX0UlpbM2HZ3rK/s1600/wodchuck.jpg
Cattle! You are all just Cattle! It makes me sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment