Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Fair Lady - 1964 - Dir. Cukor

I'm not a big musical guy, which is something I say before I ever give my opinion about musicals. But I like My Fair Lady. It's silly, got a bit of sass in it, and it's charming . BUT WHO WOULDN'T BE CHARMED BY HEPBURN AND HARRISON!! I mean, both of them are a ton of fun to watch, and I do enjoy a musical based around the way people speak. Harrison plays a uppity dick ever so well but never so well that I want to smack him in the mouth. Hepburn plays a big-mouthed upstart but again, never so well that I want to smack HER in the mouth either. I guess, when you have a musical where the two main characters are jerks, I'm more likely to be a fan. But I suppose what works is that the tone is never really all that cynical. It's silly. Fun, in the spirit of a light-hearted bet. The emotion that gets injected into it is subtle. When everyone congratulated Harrison on a job well done, Hepburn's face is all you need to see. And the movie knows well enough to give us only that. It's can wander around sometimes. The scenes with the father are nice tough if a little tangent-y. It's one of those movies that kind of runs on charm rather than tight or compelling story-telling. It's not a bad story, but perhaps it's strongest trait is that it takes a backseat to the characters and music.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhU9tu0Ikc4VG6Nx7NLrIiMNnPFr1zIGKlLX6RtPY5OuIDu1w32Su8pJUM6bz-HEglFJ1_jNI1sxUgAkbEoRNJu-CSWm5qvwuElbEendPjd4GROedDxV31s0o2ufuHZt7kEIzr2Mjh-6IiG/s640/my-fair-lady-eliza.jpg
Audrey Hepburn, Filthy As Usual

No comments:

Post a Comment