Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Descendants - 2011 - Dir. Payne

I'm a big fan of Payne but I always end up at his movies somewhat begrudgingly. I don't know why. So I begrudgingly made my way to the theater preparing to see what would be a really well made movie with thought behind it and everything. And it was! And you know what, it's not nearly as much of a bummer as it looks like it's going to be. I mean, a movie about a guy reconnecting with this daughters after the wife/mother is dying in a coma? That could've been... a hell of a time. Payne's know-how and Clooney's stupid ass running around keeps "hell" at bay. Clooney has really mastered looking goofy while sneaking/running and he's in full force in this movie. He's at he usual Clooney awesomeness, of course. Woodley plays the teenager daughter like an expert. She's clearly a source of friction but she's not a brick wall. Her character relents has tangible weaknesses, we can access her, which I feel like infrequently happens in these types of movies. It's a really well-paced movie, especially for Payne. I was pulled in and stayed in for the entire movie. The Hawaii locale makes for nice eye candy. I especially liked the plotline involving Clooney's cousins and thought it had a lot of impact in the film. It also allows us to see that sheriff from Twin Peaks with a goofy ass tan. Oh wait!? And can I say that Matthew Lillard was awesome in this? I can and will!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiJ1Pf_Oy9hPZmW4Y7xBpcE0mufuxfFF4UpAFYYqcW7fREkrbuC3M91UBAirM48tzN-zqoMDL4WplRD0ZdpSu3oRH_cTUTSMVRveROtO9BqxYi_HP9vlkCEIpVYIQZ_8wZCB-njwiViFM0/s400/the-descendants-film.jpg
:(

No comments:

Post a Comment