Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Monday, January 2, 2012

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 2011 - Dir. Bird

This movie just seals the deal: I think Brad Bird is great. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty incidental that this is a Mission: Impossible movie. I don't think I needed more than the first one and certainly could hardly tell you about the rest of the series. I have the idea that I enjoyed the third one, but that has more to do with me insisting that Abrams made a good movie and not with any actual memories I have of the viewing experience. Anyway, this is all a long-winded way of saying I like the way the movie is directed. It's fun. The characters bounce around like cartoons. OR, if you will, like the fucking Incredibles. The movie is Thrilling, which I suppose is all I really wanted. It's a pretty dumb movie. Maybe the dumbest in the series (yes, dumber than the second). But it's a fun dumb. It's like a series of countdowns and incredible feats with minor or half-assed explanations. And then a lot of jokes. Some good jokes. I liked 'em a lot. Perhaps I would have liked to feel a little more emotionally involved... I didn't really care about what was going on. I didn't care about the villain. But I suppose the movie wasn't about Cruise getting the villain... it's about him and his friends doing incredible things. ALSO, there wasn't much of a build-up to the climax. I was surprised to learn I was in the climax of the movie. For a movie that's more than two hours long, that must mean its paced well but it also illustrates how distant I felt from the film. So I dunno, it's some top-notch action and goofiness, but it doesn't have much more going on apart from that. I guess the thing that makes it okay is that... well... it doesn't feel like they were aiming for much more.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg5HmZeTyOWL2hlRwCf9ZlYzFYuBHha5lUPrOEA1JYwKJ00s5nBnJJ1EAjuWL2ImHRt55m8sluDEY-nn0EBcozUvHXgOtzlffzzRHMY2FlgGbtYH6dSoKvHVMhVekJHUeRTE1M51GYTyPVP/s1600/Mission__Impossible__Ghost_Protocol%2528041110173511%2529mission_impossible_IV_3.jpg
Put some damn shoes on, ya hippie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment