Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

All That Jazz - 1979 - Dir. Fosse

All That Jazz was way crazier than I expected it to be. Although, I suppose I should have expected it, I only had secondhand info about Fosse. Maybe it's because of Black Swan but it seems like Aronofsky takes a lesson from the book of Fosse. Larger than life characters, wild, snappy editing, shaky realities, repetition. First of all, I've never seen Roy Schneider to a role like this and it completely blew me away. I feel like it must have been particularly hard to sell such a dirtbag-ish character but Schneider does so with ease. I'm not a huge musical guy, but Fosse is fun to watch and it works particularly well in the film. Although, I feel like the end number is way longer than it needs to be and kind of kills the mood. Easily my favorite part of the film is the editing, it's just nice and insane. The scene where almost all of the sound is cut out is just absolutely awesome. At first, it's a little hard to keep up with but eventually you manage to piece it together. The movie has it's slow points and I feel like the major criticism I have is that it's a pretty shallow film, you don't get much more out of it than the experience of the viewing. It doesn't seem like Fosse aimed much higher than that though, so I guess he did a perfectly fine job. And I had a blast watching it, so I'm not complainin'. Oh... and did I mention that Schneider kinda charmed the pants off of me?

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhgGGMCkHl_VGgtYSJdAa3uCyLFB3eWRdhX8tDKlcnDG66llUia7FWTclE5c78dP2CyJHCNcXF3Pdy4e3Nv6vFvCRa0Ps95We82yE3s7BMXuHspi974mjWaxNG3aF8gsB968HkqZbT4h28/s1600/AllThatJazz2.jpg
Ben Vereen is terrified to be touching Roy Schneider's Head.

No comments:

Post a Comment