Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Friday, October 14, 2011

Blue Velvet - 1986 - Dir. Lynch

I mean, as a weird jerk in high school, I ate this movie up. What weird teenage jerk wouldn't?! I had seen it so many times that I didn't need to watch it for well... a really long time. I completely forgot about the movie except for Dennis Hopper screaming which is engrained into our counter-cultural memory with a Dental Drill. A drill shaped like Dennis Hopper's head. And you know, even though I'm long familiar with the rants, seeing it again. That man is still shockingly fucked up in this movie. He's unendingly weird and loud. And then you have Kyle McLaughlin, who is basically a strange twelve-year-old boy in the movie. He's perfect... in a way that just feels wrong through and through. Like an aesthetically pleasing whitehead. And I'm going to say the he did it on purpose. Which makes him the best actor. Everyone is just great in this movie. I'll just say that. And I love Laura Dern. All of a sudden, I'm realizing that she's an awesome actress. Especially with Lynch. The movie is just a pretty straight-forward noir. Like, it's a story you would recognize, except Lynch adds all these details that skew it. And like Hopper, everything is amplified. It's hyper-suburban. I remember feeling like the movie was pretty slow back when, probably because Hopper was a kind of centerpiece and it takes a little while for him to show. Now, I don't think I got that. Considering some of his other movies, this is a jog through the park.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjdiM-x027RFeqz0VjAEKAbyj_-t8jd8e0Zu-tfb_g_FQzNV9Jxl1lfaP16SQMc_M9VdW6kjQztXPNRn6df8RV2ljWYdJygrO5u9bgRpVB0boJxgaYMpRWXxrYx4SeXzhte8B7cEoR_htHV/s1600/blue+velvet.jpg
This guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment