Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Monday, April 5, 2010

Masculine Feminin - 1966 - Dir. Godard

Here's a thing. I'd seen this movie already and not remembered it. I always feel like that 1) It's to be expected with Godard's films and 2) it also speaks of how poorly those damn movies stand out. I mean, I get a kick out of them, but damn it, it's easy to forget those movies. Perhaps, I saw them all when I was too young. I mean, I really liked it this time around. The movie is actually a lot of fun. Obviously, he has the awesome credits and titles in between some scenes. The movie is too early to have all the polemic that Godard's later ones do. I mean, there's plenty of political rants and whatnot, but the film also focuses on culture a lot. There's a particularly long shot of Leaud's face which is pretty crazy. And Godard always casts a ton of cute little French girls from this time. The film's fun. Godard's being playful... not terribly surreal but playful and mostly just making clever little comments on sexual differences and the "follies of youth." The most notable bit about the Coca-Cola generation and Marxism, it makes a lot of sense in the context. Oh man! There's also these really neat interspersed or sudden bits of French pop music, usually having something to do with the scenes, but this movie is another one that just makes me want to give Godard a high five. Or at least shake my head at him in a friendly way.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=NoelMegahey/masculinfeminin1.jpg
I can't help but feel like he is being incredible French right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment