Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - 1966 - Dir. Nichols

I have to admit, this isn't my favorite Albee play. Although, that's like saying this isn't my favorite delicious hamburger. In the end, I'm lucky to have it. I actually think that perhaps I like the film more. WAIT. I never saw this staged. But I enjoyed seeing it. I think Taylor and Burton are incredible. It's basically a film with just incredible acting. Everyone is ABSOLUTELY mesmerizing. I feel like any of the performances on their own would have made a movie, but all of them together. It's awesome. Nichols makes a choice of making them leave the house for a little bit which is interesting. I don't mind it so much. I suppose it breaks it up a little bit. It's kind of a funny thing, because I feel like the play is Albee running on medium. He's not busting out the stuff he's REALLY good at. He's just making an almost normal play. It really is the acting that picks it up. It's neat because for a while I feel like we're all about Richard Burton, who really does seem to get the most attention, but then all of a sudden, Elizabeth Taylor comes out of nowhere with some really incredible moments that change the perspective completely. I also have to say, the scene by the tree with George Segal and Burton is AWESOME. Segal is NUTS AWESOME in that scene.

http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/images/lizzie4.JPG
No one has a bad time when George Segal is around!

No comments:

Post a Comment