Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? - 2009 - Dir. Herzog

I'm basically at the point where I realize that Werner Herzog might be one of my more favorite directors. He's capable of being simultaneously shocking and provocative without sacrificing any emotional impact and maintaining a sense of humor about the whole thing. I feel like My Son, My Son is a pretty good introduction to Herzog. At least, I dunno, the more modern Herzog. Additionally, Grace Zabriskie is a cold stone freak. In the best possible way. I mean, you can tell from her roles in Big Love and Twin Peaks, that she plays a sweet kooky momma. The real star of the film is Michael Shannon, a fella who I suppose is just starting to get some sweet roles. The man glares like NO OTHER. I feel like this role could have been easily over-the-top but he toes the line between uncomfortable, funny, and just downright scary. I could have also used some more of Brad Dourif as Uncle Ted, but I'm a little biased because I could always use more of Brad Dourif. To get right down to it, there are just so many awesome moments in this film. I barely feel like I could list them all. There are certainly some slower or some sequences that don't work as well as others. But when they work? MAN OH MAN!!!

http://www.daemonsmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mysonmysonwhathaveyedone_michaelshannon_chloesevigny1-500x407.jpg
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Grace Zabriskie, get away!

No comments:

Post a Comment