Clint Eastwood knows how to make movies. I'm not really sure how he picked it up. It's old news, but he seems to be quite good at it, as well. He seems innately to know what a story needs, how to tell it, and how to make us care. He's clever, funny, and knows how to dish out the action as well. I've never seen a Eastwood production that struck me as bad. Granted, I haven't seen a ton of his movies (Let's remember that), but my point is is that he's a competent, humble filmmaker. And that's all well and good and The Outlaw Josey Wales is a good movie. Eastwood gunslingin' around, collecting a band of people, being chased by the Union (who are fucks), and being a generally mysterious fellow. But I don't know. Eastwood's story-telling sometimes just feels TOO right. Too well oiled. He's good at making Oscar-type movies. God is he good at it. But I never get wrapped up in the style or the look of his films. I'm never taken away by his characters. I don't feel terribly passionate about any one film. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like he's taking risks with style. Maybe he doesn't want to. He's a straight-forward guy very much. The Union IS the bad guy in this, that is most certainly a risk and story-wise, he always finds something to stand out from the pack but I need more. So yeah, I enjoyed The Outlaw Josey Wales, will I remember it? Eh, couldn't say.The Ever Indecisive Eastwood can't decide where to shoot.
Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/
- ► 2011 (120)
- ► 2010 (151)
- Cherry, Harry & Raquel - 1970 - Dir. Meyer
- George Washington - 2000 - Dir. Green
- Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters - 1985 - Dir. Sch...
- Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro - 1979 - Dir. ...
- Hang 'em High - 1968 - Dir. Post
- Zachariah - 1971 - Dir. Englund
- The Wages of Fear - 1953 - Dir. Clouzot
- My Name is Nobody - 1974 - Dir. Valeril
- Vera Cruz - 1954 - Dir. Aldrich
- The Hired Hand - 1971 - Dir. Fonda
- The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976 - Dir. Eastwood
- I Love You, Man - 2009 - Dir. Hamburg
- Dirty Little Billy - 1972 - Dir. Dragoti
- Jeremiah Johnson - 1972 - Dir. Pollack
- The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rob...
- Ride in the Whirlwind - 1966 - Dir. Hellman
- Bad Company - 1972 - Dir. Benton
- A Girl Is A Gun - 1971 - Dir. Moullet
- The Smugglers - 1967 - Dir. Moullet
- Mutant Chronicles - 2009 - Dir. Hunter
- The Mist - 2007 - Dir. Darabont
- The Passion of Joan Of Arc - 1928 - Dir. Dreyer
- Coraline - 2009 - Dir. Selick
- Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens - 1979 - Di...
- JCVD - 2008 - Dir. El Mechri
- Pervert! - 2005 - Dir. Yudis
- Stalker - 1979 - Dir. Tarkovsky
- Deadly Weapons - 1974 - Dir. Wishman
- Southland Tales - 2006 - Dir. Kelly
- Gummo - 1997 - Dir. Korine
- ▼ September (30)