Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976 - Dir. Eastwood

Clint Eastwood knows how to make movies. I'm not really sure how he picked it up. It's old news, but he seems to be quite good at it, as well. He seems innately to know what a story needs, how to tell it, and how to make us care. He's clever, funny, and knows how to dish out the action as well. I've never seen a Eastwood production that struck me as bad. Granted, I haven't seen a ton of his movies (Let's remember that), but my point is is that he's a competent, humble filmmaker. And that's all well and good and The Outlaw Josey Wales is a good movie. Eastwood gunslingin' around, collecting a band of people, being chased by the Union (who are fucks), and being a generally mysterious fellow. But I don't know. Eastwood's story-telling sometimes just feels TOO right. Too well oiled. He's good at making Oscar-type movies. God is he good at it. But I never get wrapped up in the style or the look of his films. I'm never taken away by his characters. I don't feel terribly passionate about any one film. Sometimes, it doesn't feel like he's taking risks with style. Maybe he doesn't want to. He's a straight-forward guy very much. The Union IS the bad guy in this, that is most certainly a risk and story-wise, he always finds something to stand out from the pack but I need more. So yeah, I enjoyed The Outlaw Josey Wales, will I remember it? Eh, couldn't say.
The Ever Indecisive Eastwood can't decide where to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive