Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Love Songs - 2007 - Honoré

I don't really watch a lot musicals. I have a tendency to get a little bored during the actual singing part either because the songs are little unrelated to the plot or because I just have trouble following the plot through the song. I'm just not a terrific musical viewer. So I sort of knew that I was going to have a tough time with Love Songs. To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure how much I connected with the characters, or really understood their arcs. In some sense, it made the film a little more engaging just because I was trying to crack these people open. Like, I wasn't ever bored while watching the movie, consistently trying to figure out where theses characters were emotionally, because we are definitely given a real distance from them, which I like. Nothing felt spelled out for us. Maybe it could also be the culture gap, I'm not sure. I did ENJOY watching Love Songs. It has an engaging enough story and the songs were nice to listen to. I'm not going to act like I know much about music but some songs had a really sweet poetic quality to them that I could get behind even if I couldn't follow the metaphors as well as I would have liked perhaps just because reading subtitles leaves me at a handicap. The film's editing definitely had some really strong points where I was just YEEAAAHHH! And the ending had a nice feel to it, if not a little sudden.

They've almost got this threesome idea figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive