Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

sex, lies, and videotape - 1989 - Dir. Soderbergh

Independent cinema fella Soderbergh started his slow growth upon Hollywood with Sex, Lies, and Videotape, a giant super indie celebration. An all right film, I think surprisingly muted and restrained considering the subject matter but maybe I just have a tendency to think a little more... extravagantly. Certainly not my favorite of Soderbergh's but a interesting enough entry and it's easy to see how it could have made such an impression almost twenty years ago. Even back when he loved having dialogue run over other scenes and it still brings a sly smile to my face. The Man can edit. Everyone is dandy in the movie. Giacomo sometimes lays the bitterness on a little thick but apart from that I would say it was all dandy. I was especially surprised considering I'm really not much of an Andie McDowell fan. I might say I felt Spader's character felt a little more vague than I was happy with... or maybe just underdeveloped and I can't get behind the peachy-keen-ness of the ending. Things basically work out for everyone but Peter Gallagher. As well they shouldn't! Shame on you, Peter Gallagher. Shame on you.

http://www.ugo.com/movies/steven-soderbergh-retrospective/images/sex-lies-and-videotape.jpg
Yeeeaaahhh! ... YEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive