Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Away We Go - 2009 - Dir. Mendes

I don't really know what I was expecting out of Away We Go. I think I basically got what I thought I would. Although it was a lot funnier than I really expected. It had the gentle indie soundtrack by Alexi Murdoch. I mean, it is very much an indie rom com. Or maybe a indie dramady. That might be a better way to put it. It's definitely a bit more mature... and subtle than a lot of the other films in the genre. It felt way more watchable... a little bit more relatable. I think a lot of that might have to do with the acting. Although, the writing was all right, I totally think the movie got away with a lot more than it might've otherwise if the actors weren't so damn charming. Everyone does an excellent job and I even get to see my good friend: Paul Schneider do some dramatic acting. I also did enjoy Maggie Gylenhaaallllllaalalalal's performance as a dingbat cousin. The movie kind of functions with having a series of dingbats with reality slowly, slowly creeping into the picture. ALSO, I think Jeff Daniels and Catherine O'Hara were fantastic. Perhaps my favorite scene was their appearance. It was even one of those movies where GASP! I understood where the main characters were coming from most of the time, even when it was bordering on ridiculousness. Although I have to admit, I like most movies to end with loud noises, a la, Akira or ANYTHING that I write. I've realized I like my dramas to end quietly, like life. Like I care too much to have the ending of a film to be left to loud rising music. I'm not seeing a man explode into an evolutionary goop! I don't need the music to cheat me into feeling something.

All of my most emotional times are in tubs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive