Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wristcuttters: A Love Story - 2006 - Dir. Dukic

Wristcutters beings with Tom Waits played on a record. The movie is a lot like a Tom Waits record. Dark, brooding, but comedic at the same time. Some parts are awesome. Some parts are confusing or not exactly thought out. Some parts are boring. But on a whole, there is a kind of charming and interesting drive throughout that keeps us going. I suppose what really divides the two (apart from medium), is that Tom Waits has a distinct artistic voice, I don't really know how I feel about Dukic in this respect. Honestly, I would have written this off as one of those mewling pointless psuedo-dark/hip comedies. Except it has Tom Waits and Will Arnett and was based off of Etgar Keret's short story. Perhaps, I want to give Etgar Keret more credit than his deserves. Dukic was very capable, I enjoyed watching Wristcutters but I guess I wonder if I shouldn't've enjoyed it MORE. I don't see why I shouldn't have. I really liked Shea Whigham as Eugene, he was a ton of fun to watch and the film felt like it had tons more charisma when he was around. Tom Waits is always a ton of fun to watch. Will Arnett does his thing for a few scenes. Sure, I would have liked more of him. But I can't really say it would have changed too much. The end was a bit baffling. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it, like a few other aspects of the film. Like Sossamon's performance. Although Fugit is a perfectly acceptable Keret-esqe lead. So, I definitely liked Wristcutters more than I thought I would, however, I was ready to write it off.

ACT TOM WAITS! ACCCTTTT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive