Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Friday, October 30, 2009

Dillinger - 1973 - Dir. Milius

I liked Dillinger more than I thought I would. I guess I just thought it would be a pretty mediocre 70's gangster flick hoping to be like Bonnie and Clyde, which honestly: didn't leave much of an impression on me. But I really liked Dillinger, it had a lot of humor, a nice chunk of Milius-esqe (ie. violent) action, humor, and a great cast. LIKE FUCKING HARRY DEAN STANTON! But let's not forget about Warren Oates. Sometimes, I get so excited about Harry Dean Stanton being in a movie, I just forget about everything else. But HDS totally had the best death scene in the movie, and there was a lot of stiff competition. It's tough to beat out a Richard Dreyfuss with a tommy gun and a pistol shooting at cops in a bullet-proof vest and bathrobe in a field. It was like a really great B-movie. Not in the Larry Cohen sense. But an "A" movie made on a B movie budget with a B movie focus. Cause it most certainly has a B movie focus. Shootin' fightin' and criminal activities performed with much glee. Warren Oats was tons of fun to watch as Mr. Dillinger. At times, the story felt a little convoluted which is strange considering the amount of liberties that are taken with the actual events. But I didn't have too many complaints with the film. It delivered some straight-up action and god damn it, that's I asked for.

Hey! It's Johnny Depp as John Dillinge- Oh wait, that's Warren Oates. I always confuse the two. Like how Warren was in the original Edward Scissorhands, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive