Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2001: A Space Odyssey - 1968 - Dir. Kubrick

It's easy to pick on 2001. Especially for me. Not that I know some insider junk or have some perfect theory on the movie being flawed. I suppose because it's one of the best movies ever made if many publication can be believed. Because it's so heavily entrenched in the canon of our film culture. I think perhaps this is the first time, I attempted to watch the film with some sort of appreciation for what it was. I hit it a little too young the first time around and ended up not even watching the whole movie, assuming it ended between a commercial break... and yes, I watched it on television. So I figured I owed myself a decent viewing. Late at night, lights off. Without any sponsors. So what do I think? It's fucking 2001! MAN! What do you think? I feel like in some sense, I knew everything about this movie before I watched it. I can't complain. It's just so ICONIC. It looks good, it feels good. And it looks and feels like no other. Wait, it might look like Solaris, I'm going to investigate soon in that respect. For some reason, I really liked the acting in the movie a lot more than I thought I would though. There's the blankest, emptiness on the part of the humans. Also, for some reason, I thought the Heywood Floyd character was awesome... but I think it might have just been his hair.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2008/03/19/2001_460.jpg
In the future, shit will be confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive