Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The NeverEnding Story - 1984 - Dir. Petersen

Most people of my age probably have SOME kind of association with NeverEnding Story. I probably had less than others, referring to the Luck Dragon as a flying dog and whatnot. It didn't leave much of an impact when I was a kid. A few scenes came back to me as I watched it but the film was mostly unknown to me. It's easy to see why the film was such a big deal: goofy-ass special effects, tons of escapism, and plenty of creatures. The story isn't terribly impressive although I was happy to see the parallels between the quest and battling depression and lethargy. As with all kids movies some of it is subtle and some of it is beating you over the head with it. The movie basically moves you from set-up to set-up for the special/creature effects. Which are still neat to this day. Considering its a mostly German production, it has a Grimm fairy tale feel. Naturally, the movie can be pretty slow and when you get right down to it, I was happy as it ended. Having long past the point where we were seeing anything new or interesting. The film peeks pretty early, perhaps for me the meeting of all the weird big headed, multi-faced people. Although, I guess I'm neglecting some bright spots with giant turtles and goofy crap like that.

http://hodgeblodge.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/nes_1.jpg
I could've used way more Teeny-Weeny and his racing snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive