Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Saturday, March 6, 2010

You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train - 2004 - Dirs. Ellis/Mueller

Never one to be on the up and up on... most history, I'm playing a little bit of catch-up. Point being, I had no idea who Howard Zinn was until he died. And then I wanted to figure out who that fella was. Stumbling upon this documentary and off of the heels of my time with Manufacturing Consent, I found I still had to deal with my rebellious old men fix. The film focuses a lot more on Howard Zinn's life and his accomplishments than his personal beliefs. Sort of like the opposite of Manufacturing Consent. It's a lot more straight-forward. Very charming. Doesn't feel like it's working on the political slant as much as just informing us as to how Zinn maneuvered in different situations. It's an interesting enough film. Definitely felt like a good primer for anyone interested in Zinn. I would have been a little more interested in his work rather than a chonological map of events. We get some Matt Damon narrated bits and pieces but that's about it. If the point of the film is to whet an appetite for Zinn's stuff, I suppose the movie has done it's job, but perhaps not as stirring on its own.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DEwpYSD3wN4/S2Elun3alOI/AAAAAAAADOI/Pahb6N1c7qA/s400/_default_ZINN.jpg
Watch out Howard! A peaceful Dove is headed towards your head!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive