Formerly "A Movie A Day" :/

Monday, January 4, 2010

Salvador - 1986 - Dir. Stone

I don't know why I keep coming back to Oliver Stone. I really don't. I suppose, I haven't HATED any of the movies of his I've seen. They're just... I don't know. They seem pretty mediocre for the most part. But he must be doing something right cause I keep coming back. Anyway, I probably enjoyed Salvador more than a lot of other Stone pictures but this is PURELY because of James Woods who seemed to be able to do whatever the fuck he wanted... I'm sure that's not the case but he's perfectly at home in the nutty gonzo Richard Boyle. In some sense, the film starts a lot like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and then very abruptly becomes about the Salvadorian Civil War. The film doesn't make much of an effort to inform the uninitiated. Stone seems a little more concerned with painting the characters, so it doesn't feel (and probably isn't) terribly historically accurate. But hey, I'm not complaining. He really does seem more interested in character, that's not to say Boyle isn't occasionally used as a funnel for Stone's opinions. But it feels like he doesn't get too uppity for the most part. It works well enough as I believe it was put as a film about two men trying to keep their head above water with an interesting backdrop but I can't say much else.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/4/8/1239204267651/James-Woods-James-Belushi-001.jpg
Oh man, James Belushi is getting a big wiff of James Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive